I happen to really love shark week. My hubby and I are always suckers for shows like this. Let alone a week full of awesome shark TV!! We record the whole week and then watch it with our kids. I am definitely going to make this watermelon shark. My little bug loves watermelon and will especially love it if it looks like a shark. What about you? What are you going to do for shark week??
Dry erase marker
Smaller utility knife
Paring knife (you can use the tip of a vegetable peeler)
2 large marbles
Toothpicks or wooden skewers
- Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Cut off 1/3 of the watermelon at a diagonal angle.
- Stand the remaining 2/3 upright on your work surface and use a dry erase marker to draw the mouth line and eye sockets.
- Cut out the mouth. Trim back a ½" line of the green part of the rind for the teeth area.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the watermelon flesh, leaving 3" intact at the base.
- Cut out the teeth, using a smaller utility knife.
- Use melon baller to cut out the eye sockets that match the size of large marbles. Then use a paring knife to trim the green area around the eyes. Insert marbles.
- Use the carved out rind from the mouth to make the dorsal fin, shape as shown in the picture. Attach the fin using toothpicks.
- Fill the mouth with triangle shapes of watermelon, accented with Swedish fish.